At Atlantic Shores, our residents and staff are proud of their tradition of serving area students of all ages, sharing their time and talents with youth in our community, with programs including:
– In-School Programs: Our residents share their love of literature, reading books to local school children at Ocean Lakes Elementary School, and their love of theatre, including performances of “Mother Goose Live,” a fun adaptation of classic fairly tales.
– Virginia Beach Public Schools Back Pack Program: Residents gather hundreds of pounds of food each year, and deliver to provide after-school and weekend meals for students in need.
– Atlantic Shores/Guiding Eyes for the Blind Puppy Love Program. One of the first programs in the nation to link the generations together in a partnership to provide visually impaired individuals with guide dogs. Two puppies from Guiding Eyes For The Blind were raised by residents and staff at Atlantic Shores. Partnerships were also formed with two local elementary schools, which opened their doors and their hearts to the puppies with special curriculum, and puppy field trips to the school as part of their socialization training.
– Culinary Institute of Virginia scholarships: To support the next generation of chefs, Atlantic Shores awards cash scholarships for student competitors at the CIV’s cooking competition series. With Atlantic Shores residents as judges, this cross-generational culinary event gives passionate students the chance to compete for real world diners, and the opportunity to see their patron’s reactions.
– Senior Summer Camp: Pairing Atlantic Shores residents with local elementary and pre-school children for a day of fun together at Atlantic Shores.