Fresh herbs are in season and are the star of Chef Kyle’s Minestrone Soup
, recently prepared for our residents during a Chef’s Premier dinner. Mix in fresh dark leafy greens like spinach, kale, arugula or even thinly slice cabbage. Customize the recipe even more by changing the pasta to your favorite kind.
8 oz elbow pasta, cooked
1 lb sausage, mild, sliced
6 ea cooked bacon, diced
8 oz white onion, medium dice
4 oz celery, medium diced
8 oz carrots, peeled, medium diced
2 teaspoons garlic, fresh, minced
1 teaspoon thyme, fresh, removed for stem
1 teaspoon sage, fresh, chiffonade
1 teaspoon rosemary, fresh, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt, kosher
8oz diced tomatoes
16 oz tomato sauce
32 oz beef broth
2 cups of water
3 bay leaves
3 medium Yukon potatoes, peeled, medium diced
8oz zucchini, medium diced
10 oz kidney beans, drained and rinsed
8oz garbanzo beans
10 oz great northern beans
1. Cook pasta according to box directions, drain and rinse, set aside.
2. In a large stockpot over medium heat add the Italian sausage. Cook until browned, and drain any excess fat.
3. Add the onion, carrots, and celery and continue to cook until the onions are translucent.
4. Add garlic, fresh herbs and salt and continue to cook for another minute.
5. Add beef broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, bay leaves, and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
6. Add the diced potatoes and continue to cook for 5-7 minutes. Cook until the potatoes just barely start to soften.
7. Add the diced zucchini and continue to cook for another 5 minutes.
8. Add in the beans and simmer until potatoes and zucchini are cooked through but still firm.
9. Stir in the cooked pasta. Remove from heat.
10. Serve warm with grated Parmesan cheese and your favorite bread.