Winter’s chilliest month is the perfect time for comfort food! There’s nothing better than flavorfully rich, warm and satisfying soups to stave off the cold.
Our culinary team serves up a variety of freshly prepared soups and stews over the winter. One of our most popular is our delicious Mulligatawny Soup, which was awarded the coveted “People’s Choice Award” at the 2017 Virginia Museum of Contemporary Art’s House of Blues, Brews & Stews competition.
Whip up a batch, settle in, and enjoy!
- 1/2 teaspoon whole mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon whole cumin seed
- 1/2 teaspoon whole coriander seed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound chicken thighs
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 3 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 apple, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 plum tomato, cut into 1/4 inch piece
- 6 cups homemade or store-bought low sodium chicken broth, or water
- Finely chopped cilantro, to garnish
- Shaved green apple, to garnish
- Fried “shoestring” potatoes
Place mustard, cumin, and coriander seed in a skillet. Toast over medium-high heat, continuously shaking pan, moving around the seeds until spices become fragrant, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a mortar and pestle or spice grinder and process to a powder.
Heat vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat until oil is shimmering. Season chicken thighs with salt and add to pot skin side down, cook until skin is golden, about 5 minutes then flip and cook until the other side is also brown (about another 4 minutes). Transfer to a plate and reserve.
Add onion, carrot, and celery to the pot and cook, stirring often until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add curry & toasted spice mixture. Stir vegetables so they are evenly coated with the spices. Add garlic, ginger, sweet potato, apple and plum tomato and stir to coat. Return chicken thighs to the pot. Cover with broth or water and bring to a simmer. Cook until potatoes are soft and soup has thickened (about 1 hour)
Remove thighs from the soup and shred the meat and skin then return to the pot. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve garnished with freshly shaved apple, cilantro, and fried sweet potatoes.
Recipe provided by:
Food & Beverage Director
Atlantic Shores Retirement Community